Sweet Anna's Cakes and Confections is on Facebook!

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Week of Breakfasts After a Week of No Blogs

I have to offer a quick apology for my lack of blog entries in the past week – things got a little busy with a baby who wouldn’t take naps and a trip to Austin, Texas to visit my brother Seth with my Momma. My trip to Austin has inspired me by the food we ate while we were there, so I am back to blogging with a lot of fresh ideas.

…I love weekend breakfasts – you know, the kind you make when you have had enough sleep and you have enough time to actually cook. Back in my partying single days I would take a shortcut with my roommate, Jojo and head to the IHOP down the street for breakfast. Every Saturday she would wake me up by jumping on my bed and chanting “IHOP SATURDAY!!!” over and over until I finally got up and got dressed.

Now that I have a baby it’s a little different. I am usually awake a lot earlier, and it’s usually a baby who wakes me up – and she is not chanting “IHOP SATURDAY!” But I still make an effort to have a nice breakfast once a week. And since my daughter makes sure I am awake earlier than everyone else, I have plenty of time to make breakfast while my daughter watches from her high chair.

So, prepare for a week of breakfast recipes!

Below is the best recipe I have found for cinnamon roll dough. Use either bread flour or the added gluten to get the nice chewy texture right. All purpose flour will make a very cakey roll.

I love to knead dough as a stress reliever, but who actually has the time to knead dough by hand once you have kids? Personally, I don’t. Sure, my arm muscles don’t get the workout they used to when I was a baker, but I don’t need to arm wrestle anyone anymore. Solution – use a bread machine to make the dough, and then bake it yourself. I used to hate bread machines, but my opinion has recently changed… I don’t use my bread machine to bake bread, but I do use it for the dough application.

Cinnamon Rolls
(makes about a dozen rolls)

1 egg plus enough hot water to make one cup
¼ c oil
1/3 c sugar
1 tsp salt
3 ½ c bread flour (or 3 ½ c all purpose flour plus 1 ½ tbsp gluten)
1 ½ tsp yeast
½ c softened butter
½ c sugar
¼ c cinnamon (or more)
¾ c chopped pecans
¼ c melted butter
½ c brown sugar
½ c white sugar

Add all ingredients to the bread machine, set it on the dough setting and let it run. Once the dough is done, roll it out into a rectangle. Spread it with ½ cup of softened butter, sprinkle with ½ c white sugar and ¼ c cinnamon. Roll it up into a roll and cut into 1 inch rolls.

In an oblong cake pan melt ¼ c butter – cover this with the remaining sugars and the chopped pecans. Place the rolls on top of this mixture. Let rise until double in size. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Turn the pan upside down to release the rolls.

Once the rolls are in the pan you can put the pan in the refrigerator covered in plastic wrap and then bring it out an hour before you want to bake the rolls. This works really well if you want to do all the work the day before.

No comments:

Post a Comment