Sweet Anna's Cakes and Confections is on Facebook!

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My Mother, Queen of Substitutions


That's a picture of my Momma and me as a baby. Isn't she beautiful? She still is today... in fact, if you know any nice single men, let me know.

I learned to cook from my mom and my dad, but mostly from my dear Momma... which is funny, because I don't think she likes to cook all that much. But she let me play with the pots and pans on the floor when I was very little, and she made sure we all ate together as a family when dinner time came around every night. She managed to feed a family of six plus any stray neighborhood kids on a shoestring budget. The kids I went to school with were always kind of amazed we ate together around a table every night without turning on the T.V.

I have a lot of memories of my mom in the kitchen - she used to grind her own flour with a grinder that clamped on to the kitchen table, and I remember she had a hand grinder for coffee beans. When we would go to the grocery store she would let me have one coffee bean from the bulk containers so that I could smell it. Maybe that's why I love coffee so much - I associate it with my mother.

She also taught me substitutions for recipes when I would try to cook something and we were out of an ingredient... Mayonnaise can be substituted for egg; allspice for cinnamon, nutmeg, or cloves (I think Momma actually thought that allspice was made from "all spices" but it's not. I learned that a few years back and was actually quite amazed that it was a spice in and of itself.) I think all of "substituting" had a pretty big influence on my cooking - I can make something out of a bunch of nothings... oatmeal for breadcrumbs, yogurt for sour cream, lemon juice and milk for buttermilk... even coffee creamer for powdered milk.

Here's the most recent thing she taught me to make. It's good, and I wouldn't make any substitutions:

Turkey Wraps

Tortillas (or rice wraps)
Turkey
cream cheese
cucumber slices
alfalfa sprouts
cranberry sauce

Just wrap everything in a tortilla and eat it. Simple enough.

2 comments:

  1. Anna, you are the best daughter in the universe. And I will accept no substitutions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, too, Momma. See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete