Sweet Anna's Cakes and Confections is on Facebook!

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Pancakes on Sunday


I made a batch of pancakes this morning - and I started thinking about pancakes... I love them... if they are done right. And the funny thing is, this is one of very few things that I don't make from scratch. Mainly because I haven't found a recipe I like enough, and because the mixes make good pancakes.

So, now you all know me for the hypocrite I am. I extoll the greatness of home cooked food, and yet I use pancake mix. I should hang my head in shame.

But, my pancakes are better than the way they tell you to make them on the box.

The trick is to buy a mix that has you add eggs to the mix, and also to add more milk than they tell you to... the batter should be relatively thin, or you end up with thick, chewy pancakes that taste like pan-caca. So keep adding milk until the mixture runs off the ladle and easily spreads itself into a pancake when it hits the pan.

You can do add ins as well... Today I did 1/2 a mashed banana and a 1/2 cp of chopped pecans. Another one of my favorites is chopped cooked bacon. Or apples and cinnamon. Or the traditional blueberries. The best way to make blueberry pancakes is to use frozen blueberries and add them AFTER you have already poured the batter into the pan, so you can spread them out evenly. And if you just want ultimate decadence in a pancake, add chocolate chips and serve it with whipped cream or peanut butter.

1 comment:

  1. best pancake mix ever (i always have some of this in my pantry!): http://www.kodiakcakes.com/

    their brownies are awesome, too.

    ReplyDelete